Beyond the Ordinary Custom Outdoor Kitchen
What can you build on your outdoor space that is beyond the ordinary, guaranteed to impress your guests and rather functional and fun to be in?
The answer is quite simple… A striking custom outdoor kitchen!
In fact, custom BBQ islands and kitchens have become so popular that homeowners consider custom outdoor kitchens a must have for entertaining guest and family.
In a growing number of homes, luxury furnishings and high-end appliances are moving into the backyard.Wall Street Journal
Before Designing Your Custom Outdoor Kitchen
If you are considering adding a custom outdoor kitchen to your backyard, there are several things you need to consider when you are designing your space.
Below are 7 great tips to keep in mind:
1. Define Zones – When thinking about building a custom outdoor kitchen remember that you are actually building a kitchen, so you need to keep it functional or you will never use it. Follow the same rules as you would for building a kitchen indoors when thinking of placement and your outdoor kitchen will become the most used space in the house.
2. Materials Used – Keep in mind that you are building a kitchen outdoors so you can’t use the same materials you used indoors. Many outdoor kitchens have beautiful cement countertops and stainless steel cabinets. Some outdoor kitchens are even made with patio stone.
3. Custom BBQ – There are many different choices for custom BBQs. Price has not increased due to demand, instead companies have found a way to offer you more choices for less money.
4. Add More Ways to Cook – During planning think about things you really want to include. While a smoker is an obvious choice, pizza ovens are growing in popularity.
5. Roof or Umbrella – You need to decide if you want to add a patio roof or just use some umbrellas to add shade to the area. Most people opt for some sort of roof so they can use the space more often.
6. The Big Picture – Now is the time to really think about how much room you have and how you want to use it. If you have enough space, set up different rooms. You can have the kitchen, the dining room, a living room, or a spa, a bar, basically whatever you want in the space.
7. Outdoor Space is not just for Summer – This is true even in colder climates. Many people will use a grill even if there is snow on the ground. However, there are now infrared heaters, fire pits, and fireplaces being added to allow homeowners to enjoy their custom BBQ islands year round.
Custom BBQ Islands
BBQ islands are not just a grill anymore. Instead they are basically a functional kitchen outdoors. Take the time to look at different types of grills and cook tops that will suit your needs. There are many other items needed to complete you custom BBQ island. You need to understand some of your choices and why they may be needed.
Refrigeration – You do not want to be running inside all the time for something in the refrigerator so it is important to include refrigeration in your plan. You can choose from an under counter model or a free standing model. You can also decide if you want a regular under counter model or do you want to go with refrigerator drawers instead. Perhaps you want one for food and one for drinks. You may also want to add an icemaker, drop in cooler, or cooler drawer.
Pizza Oven – If you love pizza then you don’t want to overlook adding a pizza oven to your custom island. Not only will a pizza oven cook the best pizza you ever had, it is also great for any baking, broiling, or roasting you need to do. The taste you get from cooking with an open flame can’t be beat. And having an oven adds versatility to your island.
Sinks – A prep sink is a necessity. Most come with hot and cold running water and a cutting board. Another option is to get a built in bar which comes with a sink.
Warming Drawers – These will come in different sizes so pick the size that works best in your space. A warming drawer is a great accessory. If things are all going to finish cooking at different times and you want to serve everything together, a warming drawer will keep all the food at the proper temperature until you are ready to serve it.
Cabinets and Storage Drawers – Having storage makes things easier. You can choose a pantry to store things that you will use often. Having cabinets allows you to keep pots and serving dishes handy. Drawers will allow you to store your cooking utensils.
Making Your Space Special
While custom BBQ islands are great to have, don’t forget about the rest of your unused outside space. Now is the time to add some special accessories that will make that free space comfortable and inviting. Below are a few options to consider.
Patio Furniture – You may be surprised, but patio furniture is not what it used to be. Gone are the days of metal chairs with plastic cushions. There are now outdoor fabrics that look and feel the same as indoor fabrics. This allows you to have patio furniture that looks and feels as great as your indoor furniture. You can design the space just as you would an indoor space. Pick a nice area rug and arrange the furniture around it.
Fireplaces – This is a great choice to add to the room with your patio furniture. A fireplace will not only add some light it will also produce heat which will allow you to be comfortable even when the weather starts getting cooler. A fireplace is always warm and welcoming and encourages people to gather around it.
Fire Pits – If you don’t want the expense of the full fireplace, think about getting a fire pit. A fire pit can be small or large and is very versatile. It is a great option for any outdoor space.
Heaters – Infrared heaters are now available to be installed in outdoor spaces. They are a great way for people in colder climates to enjoy their outdoor space longer. If you have a roof over your space you can have the heaters mounted to the roof and pointed at the area you want to keep warm. Many people love being able to cook outdoors even when it is snowing. With infrared heaters they can also enjoy eating outside as the snow falls.
Jacuzzi Hot Tubs – A Jacuzzi is a great way to relax at the end of the day and a great addition to your outside space. There are many sizes available for you to choose from. They are easy to maintain since you can usually program the hot tubs to clean themselves.
Custom BBQ islands not only provide value to your home, they allow you to enjoy your otherwise unused outdoor space. Split up your space to make extra rooms for you to enjoy outside. You can have a kitchen area that houses your grill and the other accessories you chose. You can also set up a space for dining, and a relaxation area with your new patio furniture. Don’t forget the fireplace or fire pit so you can roast your marshmallows. Add some heating so you can enjoy your space year round. Finally, add that Jacuzzi so you can relax and unwind after a long day.